Friday, June 15, 2007

class 6/14/07

Last night we worked on our advocacy project which is called parenting 101. Well as I get closer and closer to getting married I am realizing how much parents need to talk to their children and understand and LISTEN to their children and accept what they have to say even if it is different then what the parent think and say. I grew up in a house where we talked and listened to each other and even if we had different points of view our ideas were still validated. It always boggled my mind that other people did not live this way. I now am gaining a family that does not listen to each other or if they do only mom and dad are right. This is a mom that was a teacher for 30 years. It saddens me to know that kids are not being validated at home and in some classrooms across America and I plan to work extra hard to make sure that all of my students feel valid in my classroom and know that their ideas matter. I also plan on doing this with my own children!!!! Whether my inlaw like it or not!

4 comments:

Wen~ said...

Good for you, Cheryl! Being a parent isn't an easy job, but I think you have figured out some very important things already.
I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see your wedding pictures. You'll have to post some on your blog so we can all see! :)

Tracey said...

Cheryl,
What a great opportunity for you to have had this program prior to you getting married. You will have to update us all on if it really was as helpful as you think it is. Your husband's family is lucky to have you join them. Maybe with what you have learned in the leadership course you can help them learn new skills--remember they are just creatures of habit too. Thanks so much for your help on Thursday, it was so much fun. And you did a great job--if all else fails maybe we could go to Hollywood!!!!

Jodi said...

Do you think it is culture? I grew up in a home environment like you describe.....interesting isn't it.

It isn't hard to do it the other way...we raised our girls that way.

Wedding pictures on your blog...please!

Wantok said...

Hey Cheryl--
Way to vent! Sounds like you have a difficult situation, but you're ready to take it on. Do your in-laws ever check out your blog? You're braver than me to post how you think about someone's situation. Guess that's your openness again. Good luck with the rents. Sometimes I think I grew up in a completely dysfunctional setting, so I can probably sympathize with your guy more than anything.
In the meanwhile, here's an interesting article on birth order and people's relationships with their parents and others: http://www.emotionalwellness.com/birthorder.htm
I like the hints that they give to different types. It's like research-based astrology or something. =-)